John Paul II is one the most famous Poles of all time. He was born as Karol Wojtyla in Wadowice in 1920. And that’s the first place we want to show you on our John Paul II Route. This small town located approx. 50 km from Krakow had special place in the Pope’s heart. The Holy Father John Paul II Family Home Museum was opened in the building where future Pope was born and raised. It’s must see while you in Wadowice. The Basilica of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the church where Karol Wojtyla was baptized. Besides that, you will have a chance to take a short rest at the Market Square where the future pope was meeting their friends and taste his favourite dessert – legendary “kremowka”.The next stop is Kalwaria Zebrzydowska which has been a UNESCO World Culture and National Heritage List since 2000. Kalwaria is well-known for its Passion mysteries and church festivities. At the end you will have an opportunity to see the Sanctuary of Divine Mercy in Lagiewniki,established by Pope John Paul II during his stay in Poland in August 2002.
We organize private tours of sites related with John Paul II from Krakow on your request
- hotel pick up, starting at chosen time,
- approx. 1,15h journey from Krakow to Wadowice by private car/van accompanied by private guide in chosen language,
- approx. 1,5h of guided group sightseeing tour inside The Holy Father John Paul II Family Home Museum in Wadowice with local guide in chosen language
Inside the museum you will see:
- Little Homeland exhibition – devoted to the youthful years of Karol Wojtyla (photographs, secondary school-leaving certificate of Karol Wojtyla and his hand-written biography),
- Wojtyla’s apartment – renovated based on the memories of Karol Wojtyla’s neighbours and colleagues, equipped with preserved original items belonging to the family.
- “Krakow, thank you” exhibition – part dedicated to the life of the future Pope during World War II,
- “I forgive the assassin” exhibition – part of the museum reminding the events of May 13, 1981, when John Paul II became a victim of an assassin. You can see the pistol from which the pope was shot,
- “And the world became home” exhibition – story about places that the Pope visited during his pontificate.
4. 50 minutes of walking sightseeing tour around centre of Wadowice with your private guide during which you will see:
- Main Market Square,
- Basilica of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary,
- Monument to John Paul II.
6. 45 minutes of free time for coffee/snacks. It is highly recommended to visit one of the local pastry shops where you can try kremowka – a famous dessert that Pope used to eat after school lessons with his friends.
7. approx 25 min drive from Wadowice to Kalwaria Zebrzydowska which was visited by John Paul II during his first pilgrimage to Poland as a Pope in 1979. It’s Polish first Calvary sanctuary, a big complex of a Baroque basilica under the invocation of Our Lady of the Angels with miraculous painting of the Kalwaria Madonna, Bernardine monastery and over 40 chapels and small churches dedicated to the passion of Christ and the life of Mary. Since 2000 on the UNESCO World Culture Heritage List. We are going to spend here approx. 45 minutes.
8. approx 40 min journey from Kalwaria Zebrzydowska to Sanctuary of Divine Mercy in Lagiewniki in Krakow. Visit lasts up to 45 minutes.
9. hotel drop off.
Our tour lasts approx 6,5 hours.
*Depending on availability of the entrance tickets to the Family Home Museum of John Paul II in Wadowice, some changes in the itinerary could be required.
*You should remember about appropriate clothing and behaviour as you will visit sacred places.
- 1150 PLN per person (1 person)
- 600 PLN per person (2 persons)
- 420 PLN per person (3 persons)
- 350 PLN per person (4 persons)
- 300 PLN per person (5 persons)
- 260 PLN per person (6 persons)
- 240 PLN per person (7 persons)
- Contact us (8 persons or more)
- hotel pick up/ drop off (starting at chosen time),
- private transportation by comfortable car/ mini van,
- service of private guide in chosen language during whole tour,
- entrance tickets to Family Home Museum of John Paul II in Wadowice,
- local guided tour inside the Museum in Wadowice with guide in chosen language,
- entrance tickets to Calvary Sanctuary in Kalwaria Zebrzydowska,
- entrance tickets to Lagiewniki Sanctuary.
We are able to organize this private tour in following languages: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, Russian and others
*some languages are subject to availability and prices may vary